Since 1994, Manatee County Habitat for Humanity has partnered with qualified families in the community to help them realize the dream of homeownership. More than 100 families have successfully completed the Habitat homebuyer program enabling them to build and purchase a Habitat home.
Homeownership is an investment in a family. The 2013 Shelter Report prepared by Habitat International states that “Homeownership plays a unique role in the long-term development and resiliency of our communities. Higher levels of homeownership typically breed healthier neighborhoods, and ongoing research strongly points to homeowners as anchors of their communities who are not only financially invested in where they live, but also more likely to build the human links with their neighbors that promote the stable communities all Americans desire.”
Habitat Homeownership makes a difference in the lives of our children, their families and our community:
- The children of homeowners do better in school and are more successful in later life. Homeownership does make a significant positive impact on educational achievement.
- Homeownership acts as a powerful economic stimulus, benefiting the individual homeowner and the national economy.
- Homeownership benefits neighborhoods, providing economic and social capital. Homeowners move less frequently than renters; creating a neighborhood and community for longer periods of time. Homeowners tend to be more involved in their communities than renters.
- Homeowners are happier and healthier than non-homeowners- reporting a higher self-rating, both physically and psychologically. Homeowners report a higher life satisfaction, higher self-esteem, and higher perceived control over their lives.
- Homeownerships entails greater individual responsibility, thus creating a more stable employee, partner, and parent.
Equal Housing Opportunity Statement: We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. We encourage and support an affirmative advertising and marketing program in which there are no barriers to obtaining housing because of race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status, or national origin.