A world where everyone has a decent place to live.
Seeking to put God’s love into action, Habitat for Humanity brings people together to build homes, communities and hope.
1. Demonstrate the love of Jesus Christ.We undertake our work to demonstrate the love and teachings of Jesus, acting in all ways in accord with the beliefthat God’s love and grace abound for all, and that we must be “hands and feet” of that love and grace in our world. Webelieve that, through faith, the miniscule can be multiplied to accomplish the magnificent, and that, in faith, respectfulrelationships can grow among all people.
2. Focus on shelter.We have chosen, as our means of manifesting God’s love, to create opportunities for all people to live in decent, durableshelter. We put faith into action by helping to build, renovate or preserve homes, and by partnering with othersto accelerate and broaden access to affordable housing as a foundation for breaking the cycle of poverty.
3. Advocate for affordable housing.In response to the prophet Micah’s call to do justice, to love mercy and to walk humbly with God, we promote decent,affordable housing for all, and we support the global community’s commitment to housing as a basic human right. Wewill advocate for just and fair housing policy to eliminate the constraints that contribute to poverty housing. And, inall of our work, we will seek to put shelter on hearts and minds in such powerful ways that poverty housing becomessocially, politically and religiously unacceptable.
4. Promote dignity and hope.We believe that no one lives in dignity until everyone can live in dignity. We believe that every person has somethingto contribute and something to gain from creating communities in which all people have decent, affordable places tolive. We believe that dignity and hope are best achieved through equitable, accountable partnerships.
5. Support sustainable and transformational development.We view our work as successful when it transforms lives and promotes positive and lasting social, economic andspiritual change within a community; when it is based on mutual trust and fully shared accomplishment; and when itdemonstrates responsible stewardship of all resources entrusted to us.
Habitat for Humanity is a Christian ministry dedicated to a vision of a world where everyone has a decent place to live. HFH conducts its programs in ways that are sensitive and respectful to the cultural context and the local faith communityand reflect our belief that all are created in God’s image and deserve to be treated without discrimination.
Habitat for Humanity International and its affiliated organizations (HFH) will not proselytize. Nor will HFH work with entities or individuals who insist on proselytizing as part of their work with HFH. This means that HFH will not offer assistance on the expressed or implied condition that people must (I) adhere to or convert to a particular faith or (II) listen and respond to messaging designed to induce conversion to a particular faith.